RTW-fashionSpot blogSpot

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Fashion graduate Rebecca Torres part of London Fashion Week

©ourtesy of  glasgow.stv.tv & Jenny Cleeton
Jenny Cleeton has spoken to the designer, from Glasgow Clyde, who was recently named by Vogue as ‘the one to watch’ at the event.
rebecca torres 
Backed by House of Fraser, Glasgow Clyde fashion graduate, Rebecca Torres is looking to the future for her next big event during London Fashion Week. 
Rebecca torres x1 
After studying at Glasgow Clyde College, Rebecca Torres has shot to success after being named by Vogue as “the one to watch” after Asos bought her entire collection in 2011, “They asked if they could show it [the collection] to Asos,” Torres comments after receiving a call from an old university associate, “The next thing I knew Asos wanted to buy my entire collection.” Torres was put on the website as her own person rather than by Asos which meant she started receiving calls frequently which is what prompted her to make her own website with the help of her brother. 


Rebecca torres x2The room which is known as ‘the incubator’ where Torres works is lined with material, dresses and mannequins as she sits at her large desk working. Torres has the radio playing in the background to fill the silence of the large room which she might one day share with another successful student.
Talking about inspirations and other designers, Torres comments on her love for a clean cut style but also is a fan of bright colours which is obvious from her pieces. When asked who inspired her it she stumbles a bit as she thinks, “I don’t have a background in prints or textiles but on photoshop I came up with it and just went for it.” There is many inspirations for Torres though as she comments on a collaboration she did with  Pomeroy Saskia which was where she got the idea to put the designs together, “When I saw her prints and my panelling I came up with the idea.” Torres also talks about her love for Manish Arora, “I would say he inspired me.” She says before continuing, “The colours he uses are really wacky and he is very vibrant which is obviously why I am so attracted.” The colour comparison in both Arora’s designs and Torres’s are both prominent throughout their designs with a love to show clothes that make people look and admire the colour and confidence in a piece.
Torres’s pieces are mainly fitted to the silhouette however she is hoping to try and introduce new pieces in the next collection saying, “I don’t want to miss anyone out, some people don’t necessarily want to wear fitted dresses.” She has already shown a change over the years introducing skirts and tops to the collection as well as changing the style slightly in her limited edition selection. Unlike some designers seen on the catwalk these days, Torres designs wearable clothes for both through the day and at night, “I think the collections are quite versatile.” she comments, “I wouldn’t design them if I wasn’t going to wear them myself.” Torres is quite often seen in her own clothes both daily and at nights, “I like to wear my own clothing so that I can say ‘oh it’s mine!’” Torres says with a smile.
Currently working on her new website and invites to her upcoming events in Glasgow’s St Enochs on the 6th of February and her showing thanks to the Princes Trust in London during London Fashion week in March, Torres is as busy as ever saying, “Sometimes you need to take a wee moment to yourself.’ Adding, “If someone was to tell me 5 years ago I’d be in Vogue I wouldn’t have believed them.”
Check out the wonderful new designs and pieces on www.rebeccatorres.com and keep an eye out for the new website which should be launched in the next few weeks.

No comments: